On 6/30/2010 3:05 PM, Scott Gray wrote:
On 1/07/2010, at 9:35 AM, Adrian Crum wrote:

On 6/30/2010 2:30 PM, Scott Gray wrote:
On 1/07/2010, at 7:58 AM, Adrian Crum wrote:

I'm running MySQL through the field tests I introduced recently and it is
failing due to a bad fieldtypemysql.xml file. The file defines the
floating-point type like this:

<field-type-def type="floating-point" sql-type="DECIMAL(18,6)" java-type="Double"><validate
method="isSignedDouble"/></field-type-def>

When a floating point number is stored in that type of field, an exception is
thrown due to data truncation.

The correct entry is:

<field-type-def type="floating-point" sql-type="DOUBLE" java-type="Double"><validate
method="isSignedDouble"/></field-type-def>

but changing it in the trunk is going to cause problems for anyone using MySQL.

Any thoughts on what we should do?

-Adrian

What problems will it cause other than a warning at startup?  If that is the
only issue then I don't think it's anything to worry about, manual column type
changes are regularly required of people upgrading.

Regards
Scott

It's the same type of scenario as a PK change - it will require changing an
existing database, possible data export/import, etc.

PK changes are a bit more involved because data actually needs to be moved, in
this case though OFBiz should continue to function as it was.  The main reason
OFBiz doesn't automatically take care of column type changes is because of the
risk of data loss so we force users to do it themselves.  IMO if it's reported
at startup and doesn't cause any harm then we should just do it (and we have,
many times before).

I hadn't thought of that - thanks for pointing it out.