Sounds fine to me.  As an alternative you can do something like this:
<display description="${empty usage ? uiLabelMap.CommonNone : usage}"/>
I know it's a bit verbose but it should also work.  "empty" is a UEL operator
that works in a similar fashion to Groovy's "Truth" boolean casting.

Unfortunately UEL doesn't support groovy's elvis operator or it would be easier:
"${usage ?: uiLabelMap.CommonNone}"
or perhaps freemarker's default value operator:
"${usage!uiLabelMap.CommonNone}"

Regards
Scott

HotWax Media