That sounds like a workable solution to me as well.

But why move parts of the current code of the product (as is it is now)
outside of the ASF' repo?

Looking at Commons in JIRA I see several related projects. We could do this
for OFBiz too. Split up in to several sub projects, have for each sub
project a committed sub community of users, contributors and committers. And
still having interaction between all.

Regards,

Pierre