On 28/01/2011, at 12:02 AM, Erwan de FERRIERES wrote:

> Le 27/01/2011 11:50, Scott Gray a écrit :
>> (With so many messages I don't have a good spot to say my short piece so
>> here will do)
>>
>> IMO our problems will only increase with the size of the code base.  Every
>> time a new feature is committed you have an additional potential audience
>> that must be kept happy and our ability to please everybody continues to
>> decrease.  Unhappy people don't work well together so things just keep
>> getting worse.
>>
>> Solution?  Decrease the size of the code base and included features and
>> increase the ability for the community to share contributions outside of the
>> ASF's repo.  Decrease the load on the committers and let the rest of the
>> community put their money where their mouth is.
>> Some ideas (feasible or not):
>> - Pull out all of the themes except one and move each one to google code or
>> wherever if there is someone interested in looking after each one.
>> - Then do the same for the bulk of the special purpose apps.
>> - Separate the framework from the applications.
>> - Remove any framework features that aren't used by the applications or are
>> of relatively low value and allow them to be dropped in by users when they
>> need them.
>> - Perhaps even take another look at the possibility of reducing the
>> dependencies among the core apps and splitting them (I'd gladly welcome 100
>> new committers to the humanres app because I have no interest in it).
>> - Turn the payment and shipping gateway implementations into drop in
>> components along with any other pieces of code that are suitable for
>> extraction
>> - Investigate ways to allow plug-in modification of apps and implement
>> something (anything) that allows it.
>>
>> Right now we have a gigantic project with a gateway of ~13 active committers
>> (23 total) who have day jobs to worry about along with reviewing (and
>> fighting about) commits (or just giving up on this responsibility),
>> attempting to improve the project and taking part in these (mostly pointless
>> discussions) and then keeping the rest of the community happy.  Increasing
>> the number of committers just increases the potential for disagreement and
>> then stagnation so the only other option to reduce the code.
>>
>> Give control of features and components to people who care about them and
>> then help users find them externally as they need them.  Don't like the
>> direction a feature/component is taking? Fork it and compete.
>>

> we've got the apache-extras which could be a great place to put those
> features and so on. At the moment, there is nothing related to OFBiz.
>
> http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/hosting/

Well I'll be damned, that looks like it might be pretty perfect.

> Also, at Nereide, where I'm working, we've got the addon manager, which we
> are using for adding features to OFBiz. Maybe we could give it a try for
> splitting OFBiz, as you say. I've already been speaking about it. Still open
> to anyone !

You may be aware that I don't personally see patches via an add-on manager as
the ideal solution.  But this is a wonderful example of Nereide taking the
initiative and finding a solution for increasing the extensibility of OFBiz.  I
just see patches as a work-around to some of OFBiz's inflexibility instead of
solving the core problems.