> Bruno made a good point earlier - don't have style names that indicate what
> the element looks like. So, let's not have a .btn style - because that
> implies the element will look like a button.
>
> That subtlety was behind some of the confusion we experienced in the Flat
> Grey button-style* discussion. I couldn't understand why you kept insisting
> the styles should look like buttons. Then I realized the class name contains
> the word "button." In my mind I always pictured them as a group of <a>
> elements that could be styled to look like anything, not buttons specifically.

What I am saying is that an element should be named according to how it acts.
Naming something .btn should not indicate that it should look like a button,
but that it should ACT like a button.  I used .btn as an example because it was
the easiest to illustrate.

For example, you can submit a form using an <input type=submit /> tag, a
<button /> tag, or an <a /> tag using javascript.  So if all three are
different elements, but act the same way and/or perform the same function, then
they should look the same. That way, if  developer A wants to create a standard
form and submit it using a <input /> element, and developer B wants to create a
form and submit it using javascript with an <a />, they both have the
flexibility to do that without affecting how the UI looks to the end user.  All
they have to do is add a className to the element such as <a href="javascript:"
class="btn"> or <input type=submit class="btn">.

To the end user, the result is the same.  All they see is a form with a button
to submit the form.  They don't care, nor do they really need to know, whether
that button is actually a button or some other element.  All they care about is
that they see a button, and they know what a button does, because that is what
all of the other buttons that look like it do.

Ryan L. Foster
801.671.0769
cont...@ryanlfoster.com
ryanlfoster.com