Hi Sam,

that is possible. At the moment the Jackrabbit Repository runs
embedded in the ofbiz instance. But it is not much work to run the JCR
Repository on an separate server instance and let this server stream
your content.

Descripted here http://jackrabbit.apache.org/standalone-server.html

The only thing that have to be changed is the Repository Connection in
something like:

Repository repository =
    new URLRemoteRepository("http://localhost:8080/rmi";);

(This could also be made configurable).

Just a side node. For step one i didn't migrated all the content applications.
There is only the API to work with the content repository, everything
else will follow ...