"But Minilang would be the better option because with Minilang, the
developers time is much reduced as it is used to implement simple and
repetitive tasks" - from the article  OFBiz Framework: An Innovative
Approach to
E-commerce<http://www.dotcominfoway.com/blog/ofbiz-framework-an-innovative-approach-to-e-commerce>

Why not overcome minlang's weakness.....

Minilang seems to be one of the reasons for the branch in projects (well
that's entirely speculation on my part)....it seems a bone of contention
and I've seen posts where people complain about how difficult it is to
debug, how they've had to get rid of developers who refused to learn it.
On the wiki of one of the main down stream projects Opentaps it says: don't
ever write one in
minilang!<http://www.opentaps.org/docs/index.php/Danc_-_temp#Services>

I personally don't enjoy working in minilang, scanning hundreds of lines of
minilang &  then using 'simple method' names together with "search & find"
to move between files to trace a path of execution looking for a bug or
that one small operation somewhere in the service chain I need to disable,
gives me a headache.

However a couple of months ago I decided to rewrite a minilang method in
java so that I could alter it's functionality, it had to do with processing
returns, anyway by the end of it I had a better understanding of the *upside
to minlang*, because all it does is move data around by calling other
simple methods, *to write that in java takes a lot more code then it does
in minilang*.......

Grouping business logic into modular scripts called "simple methods" and
then using what has be already been defined as building blocks to weave
into the already existing web of simple methods, your new customised higher
level service seems a good idea to me.

The problem as I see it is there is no tool or framework to quickly get
information about what services exist, how would they'd effect the data and
what their IN's and OUT's are, in other words how they'd best fit together;
in order to define a new one that will fit the specific needs for the
service I'm writing.
When I use words like weave and web, anyone who has worked in minilang
knows what I mean. But how many GUI development tools exist to deal with
just that exact same problem in other frameworks? I can think of a few open
source eclipse plug-ins that would act as a good starting template, to
create such a tool.

In some ofbiz supported enterprises I suspect that they, even have their
team set-up to get get around these problems, with say a master weaver who
facilitates the integration of new simple methods.

Meta-programming definitely has it's advantages, but for places where it's
gained the most *popularity*, it usually comes with a tool which supports
it's use.
*Then every one ruled by reason can create service solutions in ofbiz, not
just the programmers willing to learn minilang!*

I'd be more then happy to donate some time to such an undertaking if anyone
else thinks it's worth the effort?

Justin
Venture-Net Research & Development