Hi Paul,
as you said, the different product stores can depend on different tax
jurisdictions, it is ok, you can setup the tax rates per each store.
The most important thing is how to design a flexible solution to allow
taxing for the necessary adjustments.

On the one hand, it is obvious that OFBiz should have the similar "tax rate"
design for the adjustments, but on the other hand we already have a design,
which marks promotion and shipping adjustments as a special case and we can
control them via "TaxAuthorityRateProduct" , it makes this similar to a
trick.
In my opinion, I would skip "taxShipping" and "taxPromotions" fields from
"TaxAuthorityRateProduct" at all, and create "TaxAuthorityRateAdjustment",
plus rework the tax calculation.

Kind regards,
Sergei

-----