That is interesting idea.
But which properties settings do you mean?
Because a property setting can be changed manually.
If you mean to keep it like a mail settings, that is ok.
In this case we can even hide shipping and promotions flags if the use
choose OrderAdjustMentTaxSettingAll = true

Another idea: we can have the new tax adjustments settings with the current
shipping & promotion flag settings in the product rates, but if a user
starts to use shipping or promotions in the new tax adjustments tab, the tax
calculation function just ignores promotion & shipping flags in the tax
product rate tab.

What is better?

-----
Kind regards,