I'm all for it

+1

Jacques

From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <jacopo.cappell...@hotwaxmedia.com>
Hi devs,

I would like to propose to officially close the two oldest branches:

release4.0
release09.04

When the branches will be closed:
* we will no more backport fixes to them (no commits in general will be done)
* if a user will submit a patch for the branch in Jira we will resolve as "won't fix": the patch will still be there for interested parties
* no new release will be created in the future from the two branches
* the OFBiz download page will explain that the branches are old and no more
supported
* (optional) we could "close" the Jira versions for them and resolve as "won't fix" outstanding issues if only related to these branches

The result would be that, if the current vote for the release "Apache OFBiz 09.04.02" will pass then the 09.04.02 will be the last (and third) release of this branch. Of course we could still return on this decision if something new will happen... but I doubt because the number of commits lately has been very low.

The main goal is to help the community to have a clearer roadmap for the future and to help to focus on more defined targets: older branches are not supported, but the community will always try to backport fixes to the last two/three branches: the currently active branches are 11.04, 10.04 and the upcoming 12.04. Following the same rule ("no more than three active release branches at a time") we could plan to "close" the 10.04 branch around (sometime before) April 2013 (when the new release branch 13.04 will be created).

This is a small and natural step in the direction of having some sort of
roadmap for the project.
This, together with the discussion going on in thread "Proposal about a time based release plan" should be enough to define and create a nice and clean release roadmap.

We could start an official vote thread if there is interest in this, or, less formally, we could more simply use this thread to discuss pros and cons and find an agreement.

What do you think?