On Mar 2, 2012, at 7:50 AM, Hans Bakker wrote:

> Jacopo,
>
> You would even consider forking?

From Wikipedia [*]:

"[...] More recently, distributed revision control (DVCS) tools have
popularised a less emotive use of the term "fork", blurring the distinction
with "branch". With a DVCS such as Mercurial or Git, the normal way to
contribute to a project is to first branch the repository, and later seek to
have your changes integrated with the main repository. Sites such as Github,
Bitbucket and Launchpad provide free DVCS hosting expressly supporting
independent branches, such that the technical, social and financial barriers to
forking a source code repository are massively reduced."

In order of preference (descending), here are the options I see for the future
of the OFBiz framework:

1) develop a great Apache OFBiz framework 2.0 within the OFBiz community; then
release it separately from the Apache OFBiz ERP
2) greatly clean up and improve the existing framework (I was not sure if this
could go at #1)
3) if the above will not be possible (frankly speaking, in the committers
group, apart from David, none of us ever implemented with success an open
source framework) we should also consider to drop the existing code and have
our community focusing on the ERP part (as Hans seems to advocate); at this
point Moqui would be the most natural choice; if we will ever go with this path
a great exchange of information will have to happen between the two projects:
for example OFBiz will probably have to ask the Moqui framework to evolve some
of its features; given the current nature of the Moqui project, I doubt that
the OFBiz committers will be ever invited as committers there; if Moqui will be
our choice, I see two possibilities:
3.a) we base the Apache OFBiz ERP on a release of Moqui: this will only be
possible if Moqui release will have all the features we need (and if Moqui
community will be interested in getting contribution to evolve in the direction
required by OFBzi)
3.b) if 3.a will not be possible because OFBiz will need some features that
Moqui community will not consider as a good fit for Moqui, then, under the
guidance and bless of David, we could work on a fork: get the code from a Moqui
release, import in our repository and add to it, in a controlled way, the
features we need; of course this should be always kept as close as possible to
the original code; we could synch our custom code with every new Moqui release;
I was not thinking about *stealing* code to Moqui and the fact that David is
both the founder of OFBiz and of Moqui and he is both in the OFBiz PMC and the
leader of the Moqui project will definitely facilitate this; but it will be
still an ugly solution but for example when you said: "My proposal is that
Apache OFBiz will be in the future just the ERP system based on many opensource
products like birt and also Moqui...." you are actually implying that the ERP
applications will be able to use Birt... but this requires some sort of
framework and what would you do if Moqui will not think that Birt is a good fit
for them?
4) if Moqui will not be a good option we may consider other frameworks (?), but
it will be difficult, or continue with what we have

Jacopo

[*]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork_(software_development)