Hi Pierre,

I'm not sure what you mean by a "dedicated 'Help-OFBiz-Help' moment" (a high
level JIRA improvement?) but I agree
with the sentiment that help documentation needs work (a lot of it!).

This is critical if OFBiz is to be a world class open source application and
development environment.

There is much not to like in the current state of OFBiz help.
The documentation is a mishmash of help directed to both Users and Developers.
There should be at a minimum User, Developer and Administrator document sets.

Each set should follow a template that defines a consistent topical outline.

The OFBiz Help implementation is missing many of the features you expect in a
robust help system (this is not to criticize the OFBiz
help developers. They are resource constrained and given unlimited
resources, I'm sure they would add many compelling features). See POC for
presenting the current docs using Java Help to follow (this
should/may work if you unpack to apache-tomcat-6.0.xx. It presents the
Accounting help files in Java Help).

IMHO any
effort to document OFBiz for users should run in parallel with an effort to
rationalize the OFBiz UI to implement best practices for usability.
Also to follow is a list of usability guides (mostly inspired by Apple
documentation on the Web.)

From my experience when you try to document an OFBiz component you are
immediately confronted with an inconsistent form implementations and/or
flawed behavior.

For that reason I think a
documentation refactoring process should be to write a help doc that
makes sense from a business use case / usability POV, then update the
component to conform to the help doc "requirement".

Following this process will at the same time create a set of requirements
(guaranteed behavior) of OFBiz components, which today does not exist,
along with the documentation and a conforming implementation. Doing both these
at the same time will be more work but lead to a better outcome.

This process could work through each OFBiz component in turn (no small job). It
would
require the dedication of at least two resources over a serious period of time.
One to write the documentation
(requirements BA stuff) and another to do the implementation. Between
the requirements and implementation there would be room for comment by
the community on the validity of the requirements (documentation).

This work could be the basis for a Road-map for OFBiz improvement.

I can contribute the DocBook help files but would want to work with the
community on validation and implementation.
I would like to begin with the HR Component because it is relativity
simple (vs product, accounting, manufacturing etc.) and is required by
organizations of any size. A better implementation of HR would open
OFBiz HR for OTB use in many small to medium size organizations.

Hope this moves the conversation forward in a constructive way.

Tom