On Jul 7, 2012, at 1:55 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> You are certainly right and I agree with your point. But this should not be a
> way for committers to escape their responsabilities.
>
> I think the truth is in the middle. I think that that some committers are not
> doing their (volunteers) job for too long.  I see that
> few contributors are doing much than most committers. Some contributions are
> really good and fix neglected issues being there for
> long. So this situation put the burden on the shoulders of few committers.
> Some begin to loose the faith (ie less activity) and if
> this situation continues the project will loose its momentum. Also this
> situation does not help preventing what you are
> stigmatizing...
>
> Being a committer means some responsability.
> http://www.apache.org/dev/committers.html#committer-responsibilities
> It's easy to check
> http://svnsearch.org/svnsearch/repos/ASF/search?path=%2Fofbiz
> I don't think the list of committers
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/Apache+OFBiz+PMC+Members+and+Committers
>  is
> in stone...

In fact it isn't... but at the moment the fact that there are dormant
committers doesn't worry me much: we can't enforce people to work for the
community and so this is out of our control.
Revoking commit rights could be considered as a cleanup task but as a very low
priority: inactive committers are not doing any harm and having them in at
least adds some possibility for a comeback.
The real problem is finding capable new committers and we all know it is not
easy; the proposal I have in mind (I will send it in a separate email) may help
in lowering the entry bar by asking (new or old) committers to limit their
commits to specific areas of the project.

Jacopo