Jacopo,

A) The hard code in fieldlookup.js will go away when all forms are
documented. That will leave the code that test for locale. I'm open for
suggestions on how that could be done in some other way but given what I see
as the superiority of the proposed solution I do not think this should be a
show stopper.

B) Code was added in ofbiz-component.xml when BIRT was moved to
specialpurpose. That code caused the current help to break. The latest code
for the proposed system is not effected by ofbiz-component.xml. This is
because it is at the webapp not component level. ofbiz-component.xml can
revert back to what it was.

Note: If you do not use the proposed system you will need to go back and do
something with the BIRT ofbiz-component.xml (which needs work in any case).
It causes birt help to be invoked when you try to open accounting help (or
any of the other components mounted in BIRT).

C) All the help was placed in the content component because it was the home
for a subset of the docbook xls distribution. It made sense to replace that
code with the latest implementation and keep everything in one place rather
then do something in special purpose or hot deploy with a duplicate xls
code. It also makes sense since help is content and not an application. I do
not see how moving the content to the application will make it independent.
Are you going to duplicate the docbook distribution in each application?

D) Covered by Jacques

E) As Jacques noted it is transformed by ant using docbook xls. I do not
understand his comment "So maintenance worries"

F) It is loaded by the docbook xsl webhelp web application which is the
heart of the system. webhelp makes extensive use of jquery.

Also
Re: "In my opinion we can't have the luxury to maintain two help systems in
OFBiz."
True - when I have updated as promised the current system can and should be
removed. That said the code will support both systems during transition.

Re: "Help links should point to a URL that is retrieved from the UI labels
file (to support i18n). That way Help content can be located anywhere -
inside or outside OFBiz."

Help is invoked using a mechanism similar to the current system (themes). It
supports i18n in some logic in fieldlookup.js as mentioned in (A).  All of
the help files are compiled HTML (unlike the current system which is
transformed at runtime). They could just as easily be deployed to the OFBiz
site or any other web site. They are also easily transformed into pdf and
can be posted anywhere.

I look forward to any other questions or comments you may have.

Tom