I don't think that we are a long way off having a clear statement of policy.
The PMC needs to meet on this and hash out the policy in a general way and then apply this to 11.04, 12.04 and 13.07.

The PMC may feel the need to draw in more users and contributors into the discussion. The current vagueness about the intentions of the team about the future makes it hard for anyone to adopt OFBiz as an end-user product.

The Integrators may not feel this is an issue for their customers since they probably have internal policies about their EOL intentions that they can communicate to their clients to give a clear picture about when the client will be forced to face a future upgrade.

Once the team decides that 12.04 (current release) will only get security fixes after Dec 2014??? and will not get any fixes after Dec 2015???, then everyone running 12.04 will know that they have a project to budget in 2015. If you decide that 13.07 will be supported until Dec 2017???, then system managers/IT managers will know that their initial implementation is protected until that date.

The team will know which issues to create in the JIRA each time a problem is identified and know what work has to be done in order to properly support the community.

As Adrian points out, no one individual contributor can be forced to fix any particular bug but their will be some peer pressure to maintain one's "merit" reputation by fixing related bugs or at least documenting the fix in one release so that someone else can fix it in another.

It may be that people will actually want to help out on fixing 12.04 by porting the bugs fixed in 13.07 if they are actually running it.

It may also be a good way for new contributors to learn the framework and code by backporting bug fixes. Probably more relevant for porting trunk fixes back to 13.07 once 13.07 actually becomes the official stable release rather than the defacto stable release.

Ron