I think that having a discussion about the policy followed by regular (annual or semi-annual) discussions on the roadmap with the PMC and the user community will have a couple of effects - fewer surprises caused by users showing up at the last minute with requests to extend the EOL or EOS (End-Of-Sales->no longer on the download page and no longer recommended for new uers) dates. - more commitment from the user community to help with maintenance or to support sub-projects financially or with resources.

I have not been here long enough to know how the PMC decides on what features will be in a new release or how investigation of new sub-projects such as the Workflow project, get accepted as "good" ideas or rejected as "out-of-scope" or insufficiently supported by the community. Is there a formal procedure that I would have to follow to get my favorite feature included in 14.XX??

How does the PMC close off the 14.XX spec?
I assume that there is a process that involves the PMS and contributors who will be providing the resources and the user-community that determines the pluses and minuses of the proposed change.

What are the current new features that are being considered for the 2014.XX feature freeze?
Is this discussion documented somewhere?

The people doing the investigation of the Workflow engine presumably need to know when they have to get their proposal finished to make it into the 2014 feature freeze.

Are their guidelines about how the form and content of this proposal (features, dependent software , integration issues, resources required, estimated time to deliver)?

Ron