On Nov 29, 2014, at 12:09 AM, Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
wrote:

> Can the Apache project abandon a component if someone says that they will
> make a private fork?

Everyone can start a new open (or closed) source project forking a component
from OFBiz: it doesn't require any approval or blessing from the OFBiz
community.
When this happens, there is not special action required from the OFBiz project
on the original component: it can be kept, maintained or abandoned
independently from the life of the forked component.

Just to consider an example, in this thread:
1) Jacques wrote that the assetmaint component could be interesting and Adrian
could be a person willing to maintain it
2) Adrian replied that he is not interested in maintaining it in its current
form and that he is planning to start a new project external to the ASF

Adrian's answer, in the context of this community, simply means that Adrian
will not help maintaining the component in OFBiz. Now that we know this we can
decide whatever we want to do on the original component: including no decision.