Here is an update about the work I am doing:

1) I have upgraded Log4j to its latest version in the trunk, the 14.12 and the
13.07 release branches; the other release branches were using older versions of
it and I didn't upgrade them
2) I have upgraded Freemarker to its latest version in the trunk, the 14.12 and
the 13.07 release branches; the other release branches were using older
versions of it and I didn't upgrade them
3) I have upgraded commons dbcp2/pool2 to its latest version in the trunk, the
14.12 release branch; the other release branches were using older versions of
it (version 1.5) and I didn't upgrade them because it would require a
refactoring of existing code; as a side note, the latest version of
commons-pool has a fix that I have contributed to the Apache Commons community
some time ago :-) See this extract from the release notes:
o POOL-279:  Eliminated possibility that DefaultPoolObject#getIdleTimeMillis()
could
             return a negative value. Use by pool implementations would not hit
this
             bug. Thanks to Jacopo Cappellato.
4) I also did a review of all the commons jars we have in the project and I
have created a series of tasks (assigned to me) for the ones that I think we
can upgrade before the releases

Jacopo