Given that Cloudstack (and Apache) considers "committer" status to be a permanent status and that an emeritus committer can reactivate unilaterally, it does not seems necessary (or even reasonable) to restrict their access, unless they request it.

Main points from the Cloudstack example:
1) rules are explicit and PMC decisions are recorded in the bylaws
2) clear recognition of past contribution (and perhaps remaining but passive interest in the project) while keeping the "active" list accurately reflecting the people who are currently contributing in an on-going basis.

Ron