Reading through the threads provided by Paul reminded me of the reason why
we suffered in making a decision. Documentation is very important, and very
boring!

I think we all agree now (more-or-less) that documentation inside the code
base is probably better. The question to raise (again!) is which technology
to use.

So how to choose? I list some criteria we might consider:

- Simplicity: The easier it is to learn this technology, the more people
will be able to contribute.
- Modularity: The more modular the documentation system the better so that
we minimize copy-and-paste patterns.
- Migration Ease: The easier it is to migrate existing work the better
(e.g. keeping the same technology or having conversion scripts)
- Verbosity: The less verbose the documentation syntax the better
- Automation: The easier it is to automate the documentation generation the
better. Ideally it should work directly from the build system (Gradle).
- Ecosystem: The more resources, books, tools, support, editors and IDEs
for the documentation system the better.

I'll try to summarize earlier discussion points along with some of my own:

- The candidates we discussed are AsciiDoc, DocBook and DITA.
- DocBook is the existing implementation but it is broken as it only
implements a subset of the full standard. So we have to fix or replace.
- AsciiDoc is probably the simplest of the three and DITA is probably the
most complex
- DITA is the most modular and AsciiDoc is the least modular
- DITA and AsciiDoc require specialized tools whereas DocBook can just work
with good old XSLT
- DITA and DocBook are too verbose, AsciiDoc has a lighter and nicer syntax
- I could be wrong about the eco-system, but I think the biggest is DocBook
followed by DITA and then AsciiDoc.

I hope these points can help to better focus the discussion.

Cheers,

Taher Alkahteeb