Thanks Taher.

AsciiDoc is designed to translate to Docbook, so all the Docbook ecosystem
can be used with AsciiDoc. You can think of AsciiDoc as an alternative
syntax to Docbook XML that is more accessible as you write. It feels like
you're writing an email.

So to my mind our choice is between two options: DITA or AsciiDoc/Docbook.
AsciiDoc is just as modular as Docbook. AsciiDoc does need a specialized
tool, AsciiDoctor, to create Docbook, but I don't think that's a big
problem.

Cheers

Paul Foxworthy