Hi Ross,

On Mar 22, 2012, at 5:34 AM, Ross Laidlaw wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> I'm writing to give an update on my progress on OODT-402 and getting
> up to speed with the OODT project.
>
> I've been reading through the documentation from
> http://oodt.apache.org/components/maven/filemgr and the wiki pages
> http://cwiki.apache.org/oodt.  I've also read up on the GeoRSS format
> at http://georss.org and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeoRSS.

Awesome, that's the right place to start!

> By following the user guides (which are awesome by the way!)

* thanks * Many folks have been really updating those lately (Tom Bennett,
Cameron
Goodale, Sheryl John, and others) so thanks to them for that!

> I have
> built OODT with maven v2.2.1 on my laptop (macbook running OSX Lion)
> and set up the File Manager program (I've ingested my first 'blah.txt'
> file with meta data!  And also tested out some queries).

You ROCK, nice!

> As a next step, I'd like to install the File Manager webapp.  Are
> there any recent guides for installing?  I watched both of your Apache
> OODT Curation tutorials on YouTube (very cool) and also found some
> info about webapps from one of your replies on the
> u...@oodt.apache.org mailing list (with link to slides
> http://oodt.apache.org/components/maven/grid/slides.pdf).  I have my
> webapp target folders and war files from the build and I have Tomcat
> set up on my machine, so hopefully I'm not far off being up and
> running!  Apologies if this is something obvious that I should know
> already (e.g. by learning more about Tomcat).

Great, that's the right starting point.

> I built the 0.3 release of OODT on my machine.  But I also had a look
> through the latest webapp source code and noted your comments in the
> following file:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/oodt/trunk/webapp/fmprod/src/main/resources/rssconf.xml
>
>    <!--
>
>    If you want to turn your CAS File Manager into a GeoRSS
>    simple service (see http://georss.org/simple), add the
>    following block, assuming that you have indexed met fields
>    named Latitude and Longitude for your product (update as
>    appropriate otherwise).
>
>    <tag name="georss:point" source="[Latitude] [Longitude]"/>
>    -->

Yep, the above is assuming that you index 2 met fields along with your
products, the Latitude met field, and the Longitude. If you indexed them
differently (e.g., a field named "geolat" or "geolng", then you would update
the above accordingly).

> Am I right in thinking that this is the starting point for OODT-402?

Absolutely that's the right starting point for getting GeoRSS out of the
File Manager, then the next step is to move onto SIS and read about its
GeoRSS data loader and Quad Tree. Admittedly over in SIS ville there's
a lot less documentation, but it would be great because there is also
as an Incubator project a lot more ability to easily contribute and get started
being part of the community.

> I saw from georss.org that there are a few different GeoRSS formats
> (Simple, GML and W3C).  But I read that the W3C format is a bit older
> and the GML format is quite extensive, so it's a great plan to use the
> simple format and work from there.

It would be great to support the Simple to start out with and if there is
time to look at the GML and W3C versions (but only as it makes sense
and if there is time).

> I'd like to set up a similar development environment to the OODT
> developers.  Is Eclipse the IDE of choice?

Yep most of the OODT devs use Eclipse and there are a wealth of
folks that could help you here on list if you have any trouble.

> I noticed you using it on
> the youtube tutorials and also there's an 'OODT Eclipse Developer
> Help' guide on the wiki.  I have version 3.7.2 (Indigo) installed on
> my machine but please let me know if there are any incompatibility
> problems.

That sounds fine, should work great.

> Regarding OODT-402, do you have a feel for how long you'd expect me to
> take in completing the project?

I'm hoping that in a month you could have the whole thing running end, to
end, but even if it took 2 months or 3 months that would be great too. There's
a lot of room to grow in both projects, OODT and SIS, and you can really
take it where you want to go from there.

>  I'd like to put together a plan of
> action for my GSoC proposal.  I have the three step outline from the
> OODT-402 JIRA page as the basis for the plan.  I feel that I have a
> good knowledge of XML and core Java, for example I have passed the
> Oracle Certified Java Programmer exam.  Hopefully I also have a good
> grounding in some of the design principles used in OODT, for example
> factory design patterns and coding to interfaces for extensibility, as
> I have taken several OO classes so far in my studies.

Yeah I think you are perfect for the project and you will do great. The next
step is probably to start learning about SIS as you get closer to getting
the FM to spit out GeoRSS. Feel free to engage the SIS community
(sis-...@incubator.apache.org) as you move forward there too and if
you have any questions let us know and we'll all try and help out.

> I'm hoping to have some more specific questions about the steps for
> OODT-402 as I start using the webapp and examining the source code in
> more detail.

Awesome happy to help!

> Many thanks again for your time,

And to yours! I'm super excited, great work so far Ross...

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist