Okay,

I just have seen you want to put it into an iFrame.
Can an application running in an iFrame communicate with another SWF that
runs in another iFrame ?
It is essential that the communication between the app in the iFrame and
the main SWF(s) and vice versa works.

>From my point of view having the address book loaded into a div as overlay
has some advantages.
An iFrame solution is very static, the iFrame would be situated always on
the left, right, bottom or top. And it would always need the entire side,
so splitting it up like for example the user list + the activity window on
the left side will not be possible.
A div-overlay object could potentially anywhere be.

Sebastian