Hijacking this thread a bit and feel free to tell me this belongs in a
new thread --- HJow do we feel about docbook today? The docbook-xml
5.0-all artifact that opennlp-docs depends on was released on Jul 20,
2009. I find editing the XML to be difficult and error prone compared
to something like markdown files. docbook does integrate well into the
build and website though.

I think the project put off moving to a newer docs system over the
years due to the amount of manual re-writing required, but perhaps
today an AI agent could help make that an easier transition.

I don't know what newer documentation systems are out there or what's
the "standard" for a Java library like OpenNLP but I'm open to
learning.

Thanks,
Jeff



On Thu, Sep 17, 2026 at 8:26 AM Kristian Rickert <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> I'll make all the changes in one branch, each commit will become a PR.  No
> more than 2 PRs at a time.  If anyone wants to add to the branch, feel
> free.  The branch itself won't become a PR.
>
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2026 at 6:33 AM Richard Zowalla <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > would go for small units and PRs.
> > Much easier to review, imho.
> >
> > Gruß
> > Richard
> >
> > > Am 17.09.2026 um 11:30 schrieb Kristian Rickert <[email protected]>:
> > >
> > > Hi Team,
> > >
> > > I plan to make a controlled set of updates to the DocBook. To avoid
> > > flooding our communication channels, I propose the following approach:
> > >
> > >   - I have created a single branch for all DocBook updates.
> > >   <
> > https://github.com/apache/opennlp/tree/OPENNLP-1958-docbook-branch-epic>
> > >   - We will create a separate examples module specifically for the
> > DocBook
> > >   examples.
> > >   - I am currently working out of a branch on my own fork for each
> > chapter
> > >   (though I am happy to move this to the main repository if preferred).
> > >   - Each chapter will have a single focused commit that we can submit as
> > a
> > >   PR.  I just don't want to flood the PR list.
> > >
> > > I can either submit each chapter as an individual PR or combine them
> > into a
> > > single ongoing branch/PR - whichever the team prefers I have no strong
> > > feelings about the workflow.
> > >
> > > We will determine how to merge them based on this thread.
> > >
> > > I have no strong feelings on the approach.  I'll defer to the rest of the
> > > team regarding how you want the updates merged.
> > >
> > > I was an editor for my college paper :) So I promise to edit everything
> > > well before creating any PR or merging into this branch.  I'll have a
> > > separate branch per PR in my fork.
> > >
> > > My motivation stems from renaming a class awhile back.  'Twas good
> > > refactor, but the book example was stale.  Whenever that happens to me on
> > > the receiving end, I get annoyed.  So I'm fixing it.
> > >
> > > Doc-bearing,
> > >
> > > Kristian
> >

Reply via email to