On 11/21/2012 14:24, jan iversen wrote:
having looked at the mediawiki pages, especially the amount of updates, and
make a trial installation my my private server, I know I can cope with the
maintenance problems (but NOT with spam attacks, that requires more than
just one person).

If the community agrees to it, using the lazy consensus, I volunteer to
make maintenance of the mwiki (wiki.openoffice.org).

If nobody object  I will very fast do the proposed mysql changes:
- remove accounts with no contributions during the last year.
- removing all new users within the last 2 weeks.
and prepare an update to the newest version, (and as Alexandro suggest have
a test server) which first run it on my own ubuntu, before going live.

The big job done by just a few people to counter attach the spam attack, is
really a GREAT JOB, and even if I do maintenance such skilled people would
still be needed.

I would need a user, that has mysql root access as well as being able to
modify php scripts (for installing new version) and restarting apache. To
get that karma I would need help, since I am sure such a right is only
granted with PMC approval (which is the right way!!).

The page that Rob suggest is of high value, and would be a great way of
having a mini-plan for what to do on the wiki.

I have one question though, why do we have cwiki and wiki....I might be the
only one, but I get confused where to find which information, so maybe we
should decide to have all information in just one wiki ??

have a nice day/evening.
Jan I.

Jan,

The urgent thing is the one-line change to block account creation, as shown at [1], applied to LocalSettings.php.

[1] <http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Preventing_access#Restrict_account_creation>

The karma you need can only be granted by Infra. Go ahead and ask (JFDI): if anyone on the PMC objects, I feel certain we will hear about it.

JIRA (like the Confluence wiki, "cwiki") is a proprietary product for which ASF has a free license. Historically, OO.o used the FOSS products Bugzilla and MediaWiki. I cannot speak to the virtues of JIRA, never having used it, but IMHO cwiki is an inferior product compared to mwiki, and trying to convert mwiki to cwiki (which was discussed) is an enormous and unrewarding project. So we didn't.

To file a JIRA ticket, mouse around on the Infra web site; you'll get there. You will probably need your ASF name and password. I would guess that your user name on the Linux system underlying mwiki will be your Apache name.

On upgrades, Clayton Cornell (the maintainer under Sun/Oracle) sent me the following caution:

By the way, tuck this away.. it's quite important... if/when you
upgrade to 1.17 or higher, you really have to test it offline in a
staging server.  The UTF-8 implementation has been tightened up, and
older Wiki databases are being hit hard... in particular when there
are tables defined as Latin1 (the old default), with UTF-8 content.
When the database is exported/converted for the update to MW1.17 or
higher, the UTF-8 content is "converted" when the table is converted
from Latin1 to UTF-8.  The result is that the existing UTF-8 content
ends up double encoded and is basically unusable... this has broke a
LOT of wikis and very few people seem to know how to fix it (that
reminds me, I should post how to fix it somewhere).  You can avoid the
problem by checking up on the database prior to the upgrade and doing
a little tweak in the upgrade process (MySQL magic) to fix the badly
encoded tables... and i'm pretty sure that the OOo Wiki dB has this
problem.

I have asked him to send the "MySQL magic", and will forward it.

/tj/

"Ask me for anything but time!" -- Napoleon