Hi Maho;

----- Messaggio originale -----
> Da: Maho NAKATA

> Hi all and Pedro,
>
> In 2012/12/30 I recieved an e-mail from Pedro (sorry
> if you want to keep this activity secret) that he want to use
> uBLAS http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_48_0/libs/numeric/ublas/doc/index.htm
> for matrix-matrxi, matrix-vector manipulations. For the first step, it is a
> very very good idea.

It wasn't meant to be a secret but I was taking some time to digest the idea of
using Boost in general.

> Here, I'm wondering whether we can include FORTRAN in a build requirement.

The idea of using Fortran is rather inconvenient due to the Windows port.
We currently use MSVC 2008: Microsoft stopped distributing Fortran compilers
ages ago and using gfortran as an extra dependency makes things too complex.

I think we could use Boost's ublas for the Matrix operations and that should be
sufficient for the very basic matrix support Calc provides.

I am not very good with how Matrices work on C++ though, so I don't have
plans to work on it.

> So - depending on BLAS, LAPACK and OpenBLAS in the future
> are very good idea, and provides far better functionality and performance
> without
> license issues. One problem is that we will require build dependency as
> FORTRAN!

We can use FORTRAN for extensions and maybe optional scaddins though.
There are some really cool scientific packages in FORTRAN like MUMPS:
http://graal.ens-lyon.fr/MUMPS/

Cheers,

Pedro.