Stuart schrieb:
Hello everybody,

my name is Stefan Ensslen. I'm a 34 years old software engineer from
Germany. I'd like to participate in the documentation of
OpenOffice/LibreOffice. However, I'd rather contribute to the
Programmer's instead of the User's Guide.

On 01/20/2013 Regina Henschel wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> welcome to the AOO project. We have the documentation mailing list,
> see
> http://openoffice.apache.org/mailing-lists.html#documentation-
> mailing-list-public.
> You should subscribe to that list too.

Do you want to write in English or in German or both?

As I want to start with the Programmer's Guide I will only write in English.

Documentation lies idle for some time and we look forward to your
contribution. It would fit well to our effort to attract more developers.

Stuart schrieb:
I found that the framework documentation
(http://docs.libreoffice.org/framework.html) contains only a single
link to the OO site (http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Framework), and
the information that can be found at the OO site seems to be only a
stub. I can't imagine that everybody just reads the source code in
order to find out how UNO works, so I'd like to add some information.

The UNO documentation does not offer more insights either. Both sites
http://www.openoffice.org/udk/ and http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Uno/
offer much information about the concepts of UNO.

Besides this, I'd also like to add some information about how one can
contribute to the Programmer's Guide. I'd be happy to contribute, but
unfortunately neither LibreOffice nor OpenOffice make it easy to
contribute (unlike Wikipedia).

So I guess that I have to apply for some kind of account.

On 01/20/2013 Regina Henschel wrote:
Our documentation will be on http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Main_Page,
here called "MWiki".

OK. I already found that http://www.openoffice.org/udk/ should be transferred to http://wiki.openoffice.org in http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Uno ("It is planned to move most content from the http://udk.openoffice.org pages into the Wiki."). However, the http://www.openoffice.org/udk/ does not advertise this transition. I don't know how one can change http://www.openoffice.org/udk/. Maybe you can give me a clue?

Apart from that I found this page:
http://www.openoffice.org/udk/common/man/uno.html
which contains some statements about why the OpenOffice team decided to implement their own Component Framework instead of using one of the exisiting frameworks like COM or CORBA. However, I did not find any way to get from the main page http://www.openoffice.org/udk to
http://www.openoffice.org/udk/common/man/uno.html
If I hadn't used Google, I would never have found this page ;-(

Futhermore I realized that large amount of information about UNO can be found under http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/OpenOffice.org_Developers_Guide

IMHO, this page should be more accessable (I have only found the following way to get to this page:
1.) http://www.openoffice.org
   -> click "I want to participate"
2.) http://openoffice.apache.org/get-involved.html
   -> I would expect another page where I can chose
      between
       - User's Manual
       - Source code
       - Programmer's Manual
       - Distribution
    Instead I have to scroll down almost to the end and click on
    "New Volunteer Orientation"
3.) I have to click all the links. Under
    "Available Orientation Modules"
      -> "Level 3: Introductory Specialized Areas"
         -> "(Draft)Introduction to Development"
4.) http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-development.html
    I finally got one step closer to the Programmer's Manual. However,
    I still have to scroll down two pages until I get to "Other
    sources". Voila, I found
    http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide
         /OpenOffice.org_Developers_Guide

So far I have found three places where information about UNO is stored.
One of them is declared as dead and should be transferred.
However, it would be good to find a single place where this information should be stored. I don't want to overthrow any established procedures in these matters.

The MWiki-software is the same as for Wikipedia.
You register for an account and write then. To minimize spam, persons
with a new account have to wait four days till write access is enabled.
So please be patient.

Thanks,
Stefan