Creating a value statement for those who are already aware of AOO to increase usage and word of mouth will be difficult. This goes as well for those that we all might have heard of that do not even know there are alternatives to Microsoft Office at all.

--
Libby

On 2/6/2013 21:30, PETER ROMANO wrote:
What does Mastercard sell ?

Pete...
Peter J Romano
prom...@msn.com

Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 08:43:08 -0500
Subject: $21 million per day
From: robw...@apache.org
To: dev@openoffice.apache.org; market...@openoffice.apache.org

Yes, yes, we're a non-profit organization.  We don't charge for Apache
OpenOffice.  We don't pay developers.    But we still do produce
something of value, and that value can be estimated.

People need office productivity software.  The main alternative to
OpenOffice is Microsoft Office, perhaps the "Home and Student"
edition.  The latest version (2013) sells for $139.99 on Amazon.  This
is for the downloadable version.

We have averaged 153K downloads per day of Apace OpenOffice over the
last week.  That is an average value to the public of $21.5 million
per day.  Or $7.833 billion (7.833 thousand million) per year.

To put that in perspective, here are comparable annual sales figures
for some familiar companies:

-- Campbell Soup Company:  $7.882 billion
-- Royal Caribbean Cruises:   $7.657 billion
-- Mastercard, Inc:                $7.391 billion
-- OfficeMax:                        $7.094 billion

So we're providing tremendous value to the public.  We should be proud
of what we've accomplished over the past decade.

Note:  We could certainly debate the exact value provided to users.
Determining what a user would do if they did not get AOO for free is
tricky.  But the logic above is similar to how the BSA estimates
losses to Microsoft from software piracy.  They assume that the person
who pirates Office would buy it if they did not pirate it.  So it
seems fair to use that same logic to estimate the value provided to
users by a legal free alternative like Apache OpenOffice.

Regards,

-Rob