On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 6:46 PM, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 6:03 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 11/02/2013 Hagar Delest wrote:
>>>
>>> No real problem with reinstalling extensions after a major upgrade, I've
>>> done that too.
>>> But there is a difference between the mere inconvenience of reinstalling
>>> extensions and losing them completely (waiting that someone dare update
>>> them).
>>

>> The real issue is here indeed. Reinstalling won't be perceived as a big
>> problem. But the fact that reinstalling the same extension won't work will
>> be a problem.
>>
>> Most of the extensions hosted on extensions.openoffice.org won't be updated,
>> and extensions.openoffice.org does not support filtering by version (and
>> anyway the information would be missing in current releases). The top five
>> extensions at
>> http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/most_popular
>> total 1 million downloads per year, which could give some backing to the
>> nightmare support scenario Hagar envisions.
>>

> So you are assuming that the authors of the top extensions will not
> update their extensions?  Is that a reasonable assumption?  Why
> wouldn't they update?

Answering my own question:  the top downloaded extension is the PDF
Importer, and that has Oracle listed as the owner.  If this extension
is actually unmaintained, then it would be broken, yes.  Of course, if
it is unmaintained, then it is in a very fragile position now, and
almost anything can break it, from AOO changes, to platform changes to
changes in dependent libraries.  I'd say:  if we don't have a plan for
getting such extensions maintained then we should already write them
off as broken.  They will fall over when the wind blows.  It is only a
matter of time.

So my question then is:  are there any top maintained extensions where
the author would not adapt it to the proposed AOO 4.0 changes?  If
this is the case, what is their concern?  They don't like the change
from a technical perspective?  They don't have time to make the
change?  Something else?

-Rob