On 12/02/2013 Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
If we support both the
underlying code would be more complex, slower and more ugly to maintain.

OK. I had understood this part, so let's have a detailed description of the impact before we see how to handle this.

The whole discussion is really based on assumption. We can ask our
friends of SourceForge to analyze by a script all extensions and check
if they contain an Addon.xcu or not. All developers, maintainers of
extensions with Addon.xcu can we contact and can inform them about the
proposed change and how to adapt the xcu.

Good ideas, and we could maybe consider to add an "Outdated" notice, similar to the wiki pages, to extensions that contain an Addons.xcu.

So, to start getting some facts, what should the script do? Unzip the extension and look in the expanded tree for a file named exactly "Addons.xcu" (not "Addon.xcu", right)? Shall we also ask to check how many extensions provide an "OpenOffice.org-maximal-version" parameter as listed at http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/Extensions/Description_of_XML_Elements ?

In light of Ariel's detailed analysis of the Oracle extensions (thanks!), what does
  Addons.cxu but *only* with "OfficeMenuBarMerging" node
mean? I assume you meant "Addons.xcu", but what does "only with OfficeMenuBarMerging node" mean? That these extensions will not be affected by this particular change? Or that updating them will be easier?

We will have other elements to consider before assessing the impact on users (for example, the website does not currently filter by OpenOffice version; and some popular extensions, like LanguageTool, are not hosted in the official repository), but it's very good if we can have some real numbers to start.

Regards,
  Andrea.