On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 4:39 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile
<arie...@apache.org>wrote:

> Hi Kay,
>
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 03:58:06PM -0700, Kay Schenk wrote:
> > Well no doubt this may start a rather heated discussion.
>
> One of my favorites quotes about Base is from Andreas Säger (villeroy on
> the forums):
>
> "The difference between MS Access and Base amounts to several millions of
> Dollars and more than one decade of development time.
>
> Once you got used to MS Access, it is rather unlikely that you will ever
> be able to work with any other set of database utilities.
>
> I wish the AOO team had the balls to remove all the experimental trash
> while keeping bare important database connectivity for the pros.

Well I think we have "the balls" but we need to discuss this. I agree that
keeping the connectivity, the front-end portion, is vital, it's the
embedded DB that I am questioning.

Since
> 2006 the whole concept of Base with the embedded HSQLDB and wizards is
> proven to be completely wrong, wrong, wrong."
>
> http://markmail.org/message/izhtpii5li57lnjn
>
> > I don't really know who the author is, but, I too, had been giving this a
> > great deal of thought. Does a user know what any of this really means,
> for
> > example. And, including an embedded DB like HSQL puts added
> responsibility
> > for that embedded DB on this project.  What if Base were  strictly  a
> > front-end?
> >
> > So, does anyone have any further insights into how many users, if any,
> > directly use Base to create and use their own individual DBs as opposed
> > using the "front-end" capabilities?
>
> This is hard too guess. The majority of AOO users are Windows users, so
> you can asume that the "average user" that tries Base with a MS Office
> background, is looking for something like MS Access. I guess this was
> what drove Sun to create the ODB file with embedded db inside. With such
> an expectation, no wonder this average user gets frustrated with Base.
>

> For the whole topic, though it might be interesting to discuss it, IMHO
> it is completely pointless: look at the history in
>
> trunk/main/connectivity
> trunk/main/dbaccess
> trunk/main/reportdesign
> trunk/main/reportbuilder
>
> if there is no one to maintain the code, it will end up being dead code,
> so it's not a matter of "having the balls" (at least not *just* this);
> it's a matter of knowing the code, or willing to learn it and work on it
> (be it for removing Base embedded completely, or for fixing Base bugs,
> or developing Base features).
>
> Many mails can be written discussing dropping embedded HSQLDB engine,
> but at the end who will do this?
>
> Given that the not-so-difficult bug for building with Java 7 (it has
> even the explanation from the HSQLDB developer on the bug, telling how
> to fix it) didn't find someone to take care of him, removing HSQLDB
> seems something unrealistic. Just let it die.
>

> Regards
> --
> Ariel Constenla-Haile
> La Plata, Argentina

MzK

"Achieving happiness requires the right combination of Zen and Zin."