On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 2:07 PM, Rony G. Flatscher
<rony.flatsc...@wu.ac.at>wrote:

> On 27.03.2013 21:57, Kay Schenk wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 11:01 AM, Donald Whytock <dwhyt...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Just tossing this out...It seems Apache Derby is the one SQL-based
> >> DBMS in the Foundation.  It's actively maintained, and, while it's
> >> written in Java, it still works in a client/server model and is
> >> therefore probably launchable.
> >>
> >> Since it's in the family and all, perhaps it can be bundled with OOo,
> >> if Base can be structured to use it?
> >>
> >> Don
> >>
> > Well Derby does seem to be "embed-able ". See:
> >
> > http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/DerbyTut/embedded_intro.html
> >
> > This has been suggested before, as early as 2006. See:
> >
> > http://markmail.org/message/kp5n2d5yzhprgpjm
> >
> > Still, is any embedded DB  a good thing? Pros and cons...
> Yes, it is a good thing, actually a very good thing!
> :)
>
> OTOH, removing the embedded database feature from AOO is really, really a
> *bad thing* for many
> reasons...
>
> ---rony
>
> P.S.: Not sure why hsqldb (<http://hsqldb.org/>) does not suffice anymore
> for an embedded database?

Please see several threads on the java7 and hsqldb issues. In my particular
test build, using hsqldb 2.2.9 for a build with Oracle java 7 does not
produce acceptable results either.

Some further information:

http://markmail.org/message/kswggpb4cz3gmscg

many of these issues came to light with the common use of java7 by users.
If you do a search with "java7" many more issues will arise. Or look in BZ.

As others have pointed out, we really have no dedicated developers in the
DB area, and we can't expect users to be stuck with an outdated java just
to run AOO. So, that's the story.

MzK

"Achieving happiness requires the right combination of Zen and Zin."