Thanks, Rob, et al.,

On 13-04-03, at 22:22 , Peter Junge <peter.ju...@gmx.org> wrote:

>>> past 6
>>> /branches

In OOo we used SSH2. We also limited actual inclusion to code that had been
reviewed by a small coterie of project managers. This last part—that that group
of elites was another way of saying, "Sun" or, later, "Oracle," led to
displeasure. But not exactly because of the hierarchical system but because it
was perceived that that system allowed Sun to control things while claiming
open source openness.

Whatever the merits of the critiques, having multiple layers of review and
using SSH2 (which I rather like, as I don't like passwords at all, having read
far too much Schneier) is one step. I'd also concur with the idea of scrubbing
the lists of nonactive committers. That set would include me. I have not made
any commits to the code (or anything) in the last year, at least.

The point here is not to diminish any kind of democratic spirit or innovation
but rather to ensure that the code we call ours (AOO) is really just ours and
not a trap for the unwary—malware. The problem with traps like that is that
rumour of their existence is almost as bad as their presence. I've had more
than one discussion with government officials who said they could not use OO
because they could not absolutely guarantee the license or sanctity of the
code. I was able to convince them of both, but the point is that this sort of
anxiety, fuelled by vicious minds, can only be dismissed with facts. And if you
have doubts, just look to see how BlackDuck earns its profits. Enterprise
adoption of open source is not seen as risk free.

BTW, in OOo, Web directories were treated a little differently, than code but I
argued for even stronger differentiation.

-louis