On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 6:05 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13-04-09, at 19:57 , Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> >> ]
> >> What's wrong with being "self-serving and biased" when we a) have good
> >> reason for being that way, i.e., empirically grounded and logically
> backed
> >> argument (so, in fact, it's not really biased at all, and if it is
> >> perceived as such, then it is still in our interest to make public why
> we
> >> believe what we believe and do what we do), and b) as Kay points out,
> >> taking the high road doesn't mean that others won't take the low.
> >>

> > I'm not making a moral judgement.  I'm a blogger after all, so
> self-serving
> > and biased is something I'm intimately familiar with ;-)  I'm just saying
> > that users who care enough to want a comparison chart would probably be
> > savvy enough to know that one that we provided, no matter how well
> > intentioned, is not to be trusted.
> >
> > Look at the LibreOffice one for an example of the kinds of games that can
> > be played.  They list the minutia of features that no users actually care
> > about, when that is a checkmark in their column, while ignoring the huge
> > features that MS Office has that they lack.   That kind of comparison
> > doesn't really serve the user well, and I think we, as a non-profit,
> should
> > avoid that kind of spin.  Of course, if you have in mind a different kind
> > of comparison, one more grounded in reality, then I'm all ears.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > -Rob
>
> … thinking further on this, I suppose one thing I'd rather (or like to)
> have is not a feature (or bug) comparison but rather a chart that can show
> how and where community can intervene on their own behalf.
>
> My reading of AOO is that seldom do enterprise users (ore even
> individuals) look to such comparisons in shopping around. A user, like an
> accountant or artist or novelist or student, or etc., might look to see if
> the suite has a particular feature and buy it for that reason (or download
> it for free). But probably the majority don't do that. Enterprise purchases
> are made using different criteria.
>
> But what is really a differentiator, I'd like to believe, is the fact that
> because AOO is open source and has a welcoming community plus an active
> developer base, users can shape the suite to suit their ends.
>
> louis

Mostly I was suggesting a chart like this because it's a quick way for
users/prospective users to ascertain functional features, that's all.

e.g. Well I'm doing X now in MS Office, can I do the same thing in AOO?

I have seen many articles like this, and a few comparison charts, but not
very comprehensive, and rather old -- OO.o 2.x etc.

MzK

"Achieving happiness requires the right combination of Zen and Zin."