On 18 April 2013 22:38, Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 5:17 AM, janI <j...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > On 18 April 2013 14:08, Claudio Filho <filh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi

> > > build of
> > >
> > > Oliver, sorry by my newbie ask, but... we don't use more dmake?
> > >
> > > If i understood correctly, "build" is a perl script that calls all
> > > modules, building in order of dependence, entering in each one,
> > > calling Dmake to compile and delivering all files where need.
> > >
> > correct.
> >

> > > I saw some "makefile" files and many more "makefile.mk", where i think
> > > that one is for Make and other is to Dmake. I see it in wiki too, for
> > > build parts.
> > >
> > again correct.
> >
> > Problem is that some of the modules have been moved away from dmake to
> > "gbuild", so right now it is a mix (and not a very smart one).
> >

> Jan --
>
> This last comment "not a very smart one" is interesting. Do you care to
> elaborate?

I have to watch more carefully what I write, someone is actually reading it
:-)

I am deep in the building system at the moment with my l10n work, and what
we have now in trunk is approx 2/3 orignal dmake (that btw also seem to
have at least 2 generations) and 1/3 gbuild, this combination does a good
job of confusing anyone who tries to understand the system. Just to make
things worse, the gbuild part is split in as many files as possible.

So I should have written "dont try to understand it, just accept it",
actually someone else in here said something similar to me a couple of
month ago.

> I saw all this mixture too in my build experience, and well...couldn't
> figure out why. It seems historically dmake was used to speed things along,
> but, well...I'm not sure how/why it's being used now exactly.

Actually the wiki/gbuild have a pretty good description. The people who
started gbuild did a real good job of analyzing the dmake build and an even
better job of documenting their findings.

I am right now (slowly) in the progress of writing a document, with demands
to a solid, easy to understand build system, based on my experience from a
system about 4-5 times bigger than AOO.

> And, yes, I saw the gbuild branch was basically inactive and tried to tract
> down some info on that, but couldn't find much discussion about it.
>
> We do indeed need to devote discussion time to our build process after
> 4.0.   I would hope we could at least make things simpler for folks wanting
> to partial builds of areas.

In my world, we can make it VERY simple...but even though gbuild is pretty
new, it uses the same philosofy as dmake, so it does not really change
things. I have a couple of ideas, admitted a bit radical, but they would
allow us to use standard make. My intention is to take the discussion, when
I have something to present, instead of starting the discussion with a
piece of blank paper.

Another thing we need to discuss is packaging, would it not be ideal if
people could just make writer, when working on that. I would like to see a
download page, where the user select which parts of AOO he/she wants to
download.

I hope you like to appetizer :-)

rgds
Jan I.