Hi Rob,

On Thu, May 09, 2013 at 12:34:25PM -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> I wonder if we can make this be more rational?
>
> For example, the About box currently says: "Copyright © 2012 Apache
> Software Foundation.
> All rights reserved."
>
> That needs to be changed to 2013, right?

Yes, please open a bug before we forget, and set it as blocker.

> It also says, "This product was created by Apache Software Foundation,
> based on Apache OpenOffice."
>
> That confuses me.  It probably confuses users as well.  Isn't this
> Apache OpenOffice?  Why are we saying "based on Apache OpenOffice" ?
> I wonder if we can simply remove that line altogether.
>
> (Also, the Splash Screen makes a similar odd statement: "Build
> contributed by member of the Apache OpenOffice community")
>
> Presumably these phrases came from earlier days when Sun or Oracle was
> credited as the "contributor" of the executable.   But I'm not sure
> the distinction is important any more.

The string in the About Dialog has a place holder:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/trunk/main/cui/source/dialogs/about.src?revision=1448713&view=markup#l76

"Copyright © 2012 Apache Software Foundation.\nAll rights
reserved.\n\nThis product was created by %OOOVENDOR, based on Apache
OpenOffice.\nApache OpenOffice acknowledges all community members,
especially those mentioned at";

%OOOVENDOR is replaced with the value of OOOVENDOR in
main/instsetoo_native/util/openoffice.lst or with a custom value set at
build time if configured with --with-vendor. For example,
--with-vendor="Ariel Constenla-Haile (arielch\@apache.org)" turns out in
http://people.apache.org/~arielch/images/AboutDialog.png

This all comes from Sun era
http://people.apache.org/~arielch/images/AboutDialog300.png
http://people.apache.org/~arielch/images/AboutDialog321.png

It can still have some meaning: suppose someone in the ecosystem is
building custom versions of AOO for their customers, they may want to
configure with --with-vendor; they can even change the images in the
dialog to whatever suits them (anyone can try this by changing the PNGs
in the folder where the main executable file resides, about.png is the
header of the dialog, logo.png is the main logo at the left), for example:
http://people.apache.org/~arielch/images/AboutDialogCustomImg.jpg

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile