On Jun 1, 2013, at 10:55 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 29/05/2013 Rob Weir wrote:
>> On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 2:19 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/trunk/main/readlicense_oo/docs/readme/readme.xrm?view=log
>> I took a look.  Two things that I noticed.
>>
>> 1) It refers the reader to this URL for the latest version of the README:
>> http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/readme.html
>> But that page does not appear to have been updated since OOo 3.0.   Is
>> that URL correct?  If so I can enter a BZ issue so we remember to
>> update the contents of that page with the latest README.  On the other
>> hand, shouldn't this really be a per-version readme file?
>
> Yes, the web page must be updated before release. And, as for the per-version
> URL (like readme-400.html), this is a tradeoff to decide upon, since this
> requires manual changes at every release in all cases. So: either we
> "archive" old READMEs and link them from
> http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/readme.html or we use a specific URL.
> Considering string freeze and translations, it's probably better to do the
> former (archive the old ones) since it can be centralized and has a lesser
> impact on contributors.

Crazy idea. What if we just made a sub domain for each release?  Or
equivalently a path under  ooo-site.  Then we could have hard-coded
standard paths in the code and other systems like:

www.openoffice.org/release/<version>/README

Could also do LICENSE, release notes, even the update notification XML files

So a special website per release. Then when we do a new release we
just do an svn copy to populate the new site, and update as needed.
The code then points to appropriate dir based on build time version
flag.

-Rob