Another option would be to ditch the single gull and have a flat orb in the
upper left corner, in its original colors. The desktop icons might need to be
toned down a bit to not clash.  Likewise for the document icons, which don't
scale well with those gradients.  (Also, when did "OpenOffice" get two tones.
Was I sleeping?)

This works to indicate that Apache OpenOffice is the associated application.
It also works when there are other decorations, such as a lock or signature
security indicator, other indicators that tend to be overlain on the lower left
corner.

Some do it differently, especially for large icons associated with documents.
The format may be identified in the upper left (e.g., "PDF") and the associated
application is indicated in the main symbol (Acrobat Reader).  Microsoft uses
generic icons for word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, e-mail
applications, etc.  There is then a single-letter badge that indicates the
application when it is a Microsoft associated format.  For Apache OpenOffice
having the orb as a badge on each of our designs serves a similar purpose.

It occurs to me that the page surround is not needed.  The larger versions of
the inscribed symbol can be used on its own, with the orb in the corner of
those.  They might be borderless then, apart from the shape of the central
symbol, and the page curl could go away.  (Whether a simple document-page
surround is used on large icons, such as 64-bit ones, is a different matter.
That option remains.)

The difference between a template and the document icon is pretty subtle.  I
get the tear-off from a pad of paper, but only because that is the only way I
can explain it to myself.  With uninscribed icons (other than the colored
framing of the different symbols), maybe the difference is for the template
graphics to be with dotted or dashed lines rather than solid.  Just grasping at
straws here.

 - Dennis