Am 07/09/2013 05:03 PM, schrieb Jürgen Schmidt:
On 7/9/13 4:57 PM, Andre Fischer wrote:
Hi,

I would like to propose another small enhancement: a change of the
default size of application windows on Linux.  In some cases--Writer,
start center, Math, Base--the application window is almost square by
default (for Calc, Impress and Draw it is fullscreen).  This does not
work well with the new sidebar, which was designed with widescreen
displays in mind.

I would like to change that to what is used on Mac, use 80% of width and
height of the screen, on which the application starts.For screen widths
of 1024 and below I would still use the current values (therefore you
will see no differences in the 1024x768 and 800x600 screen shots.)  As
this sizing scheme is already in use on the Mac platform  it is tried
and accepted (at least I know of no complaints).  The default fullscreen
mode for Calc, Impress and Draw would not be changed.

Here are some comparisons for the current state (left side) and the
proposed sizes (right side).  To speed up download I have provided
smaller versions (25% and 50%) along with the original sizes:

  800x 600  25% [1],  50% [2],  100% [3]
1024x 768  25% [4],  50% [5],  100% [6]
1280x1024  25% [7],  50% [8],  100% [9]
1680x1050  25% [10], 50% [11], 100% [12]
1920x1200  25% [13], 50% [14], 100% [15]

The change is rather small and restricted to Linux (the GTK module) and
should have low risk of introducing regressions.

+1, I remember we have discussed this several times and always postponed
it because of other things. Easy fix with a huge improvement and an
improved first start experience

yes, sounds good, +1.

Marcus

[1] http://people.apache.org/~af/images/scale/writer-800-600-h-25.png