On Aug 7, 2013, at 6:26 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> [...]
>>> accomplished by by 2 magic trix (compared to eg. C++).
>>> 1) Java does not compile to machine code but to pcode (a virtual machine),
>>> therefore you can build the program on linux, and run the build on window
>>> (or even one of the big mainframes).
>>> 2) Java also does late binding (think of a very smart dll), so libraries
>>> are not part of your build.
>>>
>>> This means you can use a java development 1.7 on any platform, to make a
>>> build that runs on any platform and (nearly) any java runtime version. As
>>> an example I use areca backup, its a java program, the exact same jar files
>>> run on vista,xp,win7,ubuntu and even android, areca is programm towards
>>> java 1.4, and I have 1.6 and 1.7 installed depending on platform.
>>>
>>> The problem is the classes and the API. If our code use just a single java
>>> 1.7 specific call, the runtime must be at least 1.7. This is however no
>>> problem today, our code is build for the classes and api available in java
>>> runtime 1.5, so it will run there.
>>>
>>> Oracle have promised to keep the API and classes for 1.4 and forwards
>>> stable, and available in new versions. They are pretty good at living up to
>>> the promise
>>>
>>> So in theory we can change build environment to java 1.7 and not tell user,
>>> as long as we only use 1.5 API and classes. As part of a release cycle, we
>>> should of course test once with runtime 1.5.
>>>
>>> I wrote "in theory" because in the real world, we might want to (in future
>>> releases) use the 1.7 api for e.g. performance reasons, when that time
>>> comes we would have to make a wrapper class, just like we have in C++ to
>>> cover differences Linux/windows.
>>>
>>> Sorry again, if I misread the postings, but this is very much different
>>> from the XP scenario.
>>>
>>> rgds
>>> jan I.
>>>

>> Thank you for this great explanation! So basically, review the AOO java API.
>>

> It is a bit more complicated than that.   The Java language itself has
> evolved, not just the libraries. There are bytecode changes as well.
> The difference between Java 1.7/1.6 is not very big, but there are
> more significant differences if you need to maintain compatibility
> with Java 1.5.  Not impossible, but it would be extra effort.
>
> And remember, the "cost" of supporting old platforms is not just the
> dev work.  It also involves QA and support..  If we say we "support"
> something then we really ought to be testing in, not just saying that
> we not aware of any problems.  The OpenOffice brand should mean that
> users can run on any supported platform and have a good experience.
> IMHO we should not say we "support" a platform unless we're willing
> and able to meet that kind of expectation.
>
> As a practical matter we cannot be testing every platform on 3
> different JVM versions.  That's not going to happen.  The test matrix
> is too large.  Even on Windows that is XP/Vista/Win7/Win8 or 4
> platforms * 3 JVM's, or 12 combinations.  And that is just Windows.

Good points.

I think that we should evaluate our Java dependencies, the projects and where
they are their minimum java version.

I know that there has been a drive to remove Java, but I can see some quick
potential wins by using Java based Apache projects like POI to drive MS Office
two way compatibility. (OK another thread ;-)

Regards,
Dave