> Objet : Re: Microsoft Censors OpenOffice Download Links
> Not to speak for them, but I suspect they would point out the fact
> that we there are over 100 Apache projects, and they all seem to do
> fine with distribution via the mirrors.
>
> Personally, I'd wonder where this rates with us in terms of priority.
> Compare to, say, forum stability improvements, code signing for our
> installers, and further buildbot coverage, where do torrents rate?

Of course it's not a priority.
But think about the mechanism of torrent: once it's initiated, it spreads by
itself without any input needed. I'm not sure we need powerful resources for
the seeds, we can even limit the number of uploads I guess. And then let the
torrent spread among users.

A forum was not in the field of the ASF scope. The AOO forum is still doing and
rather well, there is a lot of cooperation and feedback when information is
forwarded from on side to the other. So why not make a torrent a first for ASF?

Please remember that you're handling an office suite, it's not a niche program,
it's something that is heavily popular, you tell it yourself when you inform
the list about the millions downloads. Ubuntu offers torrents for example.

If ASF does not want to do new things because no other ASF project has even
tried, then I'm rather worried about the future. Especially when on the other
side LibreOffice has a so efficient team, very good at marketing their project.

Hagar

Je crée ma boîte mail www.laposte.net