On 17 August 2013 11:16, Rajath Shashidhara <rajaths.raja...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need opinion on how to implement "open" command in my cmis ucp.
> Since, cmis supports versioning, the make any changes to the document, the
> document has to be checked out. Later, the changes have to checked in.
>
> So, when the user "open" a folder from the file dialog, there are two
> 1. Open the document as a "read-only" copy. Provide an option to
> 2. Checkout the document and open it.
>
> What do you feel is best way to go about it?
> Please provide your opinion.

Since you do not know if the user will save it again (or when) I would
avoid doing too many checkout (some cmis systems blocks the document when
you do a checkout).

I would suggest the following pattern:

open, retrieve read-only, mark the version number

save,
1) control version numbers (did anybody else change the document in cmis)
   warn user if different.
2) checkout and checkin the changed document

rgds
jan I