On 8/21/13 6:23 AM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> Talking with a friend, they asked me how hard would it be to make the AOO
> IDE Python compliant.
>
> I understand there has been discussions about this and usually result in
> people siding on using external editors.
>
> However I am also interested to understand the architecture of the IDE, not
> sure if the basic language is statically coded on the IDE, or maybe is just
> the name of the classes.
>
>  http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/trunk/main/basctl/source/basicide/
>
> Maybe some core developer can give me more information about this, and a
> sizing on this project. What would be required for the IDE to be able to
> interpret and process python natively.

The Basic IDE as it is at moment is not extendable for supporting a new
language and I think it would be better to think about something new.

Downstrip Eclipse or NetBeans and use the main editor with Python
support and think about a closer integration in AOO. We started a long
time back thinking in this direction and used NetBeans and Java to allow
Java scripting in NetBeans but also deploying the scripts in AOO or even
in open documents in AOO.

This should be possible but it's definitely a bigger project and
requires some skills.

Juergen