On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 2:22 PM, Donald Whytock <dwhyt...@apache.org> wrote:
> No, but Apache cares about legal issues, and therefore might not want
> someone else's trademarks (however valid or frivolous) infringed upon in
> the context of presenting Apache's own valid ones.

Trademarks apply to a specific class of product.  There is no other
OpenOffice, Apache OpenOffice or OpenOffice.org that is a software
application.    This is why the jobs website Monster.com can exist
along with Monster Cables, or Apple Records can exist along with Apple
Computer.  So long as we use the full name at first use for clarity,
we should feel free to use the shorter form in the rest of the
document.  This has been our practice on the website, press releases,
documentation, etc.

Regards,

-Rob