On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 3:55 AM, Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie> wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 19:51:06 -0500
> kpure <kpure2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Your support does not work for me! You need a direct and personal
>> method of support such as I need now!
>>
>> I have a problem with Open Office 4.0.1 AOO401m5(Build:9714) - Rev.
>> 1524958 2013-09-20 11:40:29 (Fr, 20 Sep 2013) on Windows & Enterprise
>> 32bit. I save pages and they seem to save, but they revert to an
>> earlier form of the page upon re opening! I have gone through posting
>> my problem and trying what is suggested in the support pages to
>> uninstall and reinstalls, resetting personal preferences, deleted old
>> versions and cash! Still have the same problem! I am to the point
>> where I am uninstalling it and will never use Apache again! You used
>> to be my only choice over Microsoft, but now I am reconsidering this!
>> All I ask for in a writer is that I can type, spell check and
>> grammar, cut and paste words pictures and Hypertext web sites. But,
>> most of all save my work so I do not have to do it over and over
>> again! I do not want or need all the rest! This problem of reverting
>> back to an earlier form is a problem from the early 1990s! I would
>> think you were more evolved as a program by now! I have tired your
>> methods, now lets us try another way, like for example, open desktop
>> with your support! Obviously I have a glitch, by a means of software,
>> conflict, corruption or that dreaded operator error, I do not know,
>> but it is real and we need this corrected and soon or I will have to
>> rightly assume it is a software problem and change programs!
>>

> This is almost certainly a configuration problem on your computer,
> particularly if it continues since the early 1990s. Have you some form of
> automated backup/restore or security program operating? It may be easiest for
> you to try an alternative, particularly as you say you only require a text
> editor. I'd suggest trying AbiWord.

I've never seen a configuration problem that caused the behavior reported:

"I save pages and they seem to save, but they revert to an earlier
form of the page upon re opening!"

However, I could see a user being confused by how we deal with DOCX
files.  Imagine this scenario:

1) User opens foo.docx file and edits it.

2) User saves document, but since we don't support DOCX for writing,
we actually write out foo.odt.

3) User does not know that the file has been renamed.  So when they go
to re-load the document again the next day they load the
original/unchanged foo.docx and wonder where there changes went!

I wonder if this could be happening?

-Rob