Am 11/12/2013 10:38 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 3:51 PM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.m...@wtnet.de>  wrote:
Am 11/12/2013 08:12 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 2:08 PM, Andrea Pescetti<pesce...@apache.org>
wrote:

Herbert Duerr wrote:

On 12.11.2013 16:48, janI wrote:

@herbert, if nobody objects will you reopen the ticket, or should I ?

I have reopened the JIRA issue and requested a read-only mirror for now.

And what would be the advantage for real contributors in having a
read-only
GIT mirror? The complaints I've seen so far are mostly in the other
direction (i.e., committing or applying patches). I'm not talking about
generic advantages of GIT: everybody here can be assumed to have a good
working knowledge of both SVN and GIT. What concrete problems does a
read-only GIT mirror solve in our case?

I'm not at all against it, but I'd just like to make sure that a
read-only
GIT mirror brings enough concrete advantages, since many GIT niceties
(local
commits, proper attribution, quick application of patches) are still left
out or significantly limited with this approach.

By the way, you can find discussions about GIT everywhere at Apache,
there's
even a Github account https://github.com/apache and lots of suggestions
like
adopting the newly-released Apache Allura (Incubating) GIT (and more)
hosting environment. As far as I know, there have been very significant
updates in the GIT support at Apache in the last few weeks and I hope
that
this is soon summarized in a blog post at http://blogs.apache.org/infra/
or
reflected in the documentation at http://www.apache.org/dev/git.html . So
this is a good moment to start considering GIT again.

We should consider the website as well.  Does the CMS have hooks that
work with git repositories as well?  Or would we need to keep the
website in SVN?

Good point. This has to be clarified as we don't want to keep our website
volunteers outside just because the CMS system doesn't support Git. To let
everybody of them commit via CLI or GUI tools wouldn't be nice.

But if it is an issue then one solution could be to move the product
source to git and keep the websites in SVN.  We're generally not
dealing with multiple complex branches for the website, so the
advantages of git here are less.

Sure, to split the things when it makes sense is also an option.

Marcus