On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 6:42 PM, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.m...@wtnet.de> wrote:
> Am 11/13/2013 09:12 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Donald Whytock<dwhyt...@apache.org>
>> wrote:

>>>   Looks good in general.  How does "vision-impaired" compare to "blind or
>>> low-sight"?
>>>

>> Honestly, I'm not absolutely certain what the preferred term is these
>> days.  I certainly don't want to cause offense by using the wrong
>> words.  But I did see the term "blind or low-sight" on a website
>> discussing assistive technologies.  If anyone (Stuart, maybe?) knows
>> better, let me know.
>

> I had a remarkable experience when I wrote something about sound in
> StarOffice (yes, years ago) and how deaf people could work with it. The way
> of how to explain it was wrong with the wording I used, I had to correct it
> in in a policitcal correct way and give an apology to the group who wrote a
> mail to point me to the error.
>
> Therefore I would say it's better to spend more time than you think first to
> use the correct wordings.

I searched for answers and found this, from the American Foundation
for the Blind:

When you speak about someone with a disability, refer to the person
and then to the disability. For example, refer to "a person who is
blind" rather than to "a blind person."

http://www.afb.org/section.aspx?SectionID=36&TopicID=163&DocumentID=2263

Given those guidelines maybe we change the current:

"Support for these interfaces enables screen readers and other
assistive technologies to work with Apache OpenOffice, which in turn
enables more productive use of OpenOffice by blind and low-vision
users."

"Support for these interfaces enables screen readers and other
assistive technologies to work with Apache OpenOffice, which in turn
enables more productive use of OpenOffice users who are blind or have
low-vision." ???

Regards,

-Rob