On 12/16/13 1:02 PM, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> On 12/16/13 12:55 PM, jan i wrote:
>> On 16 December 2013 12:47, Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> we are still working on the 64 bit port which is intended to replace the
>>> 32 bit version in the future. We don't plan to support both because the
>>> overhead is too much at the moment. And most used MacOS version are
>>> already 64 bit and with the free available OS updates most systems are
>>> running on a newer version anyway.
>>>
>>> Nevertheless do we have to drop the support for 10.6 systems because of
>>> a missing libc++ that was introduced on 10.7 first.
>>>

>>> I would like to propose that with AOO 4.1 we support 10.7 or higher
>>> MacOS systems only at the beginning. We can decide later on if it's
>>> worth to spend additional time in 10.6 systems but for now I would not
>>> spent any further time on it. We have to look forward and we should take
>>> into account that we have many other things to do that will be address
>>> the needs and requirements of many more users.
>>>
>> +1, I also expect that the upcomming macOs buildbot will only support one
>> MacOS version, and that should be the mainline.
>
> it is not so easy and in general we would like to support as many as
> possible MacOS versions. The point is that we need the related platform
> SDK and our initial plan was to build against the 10.6 SDK.  But with
> the upgrade to Xcode 4 the 10.6 SDK is not supported anymore and you
> have to tweak your system which would be ok in general. We developed
> against 10.7 SDK and did some tests last week against the 10.6 SDK and
> realized that the libc++ was introduced with 10.7 first.
>
> In general it is important that the used system APIs are still valid and
> supported by a platform. With the 64bit version Herbert replaced some
> deprecated APIs as well.

To avoid any confusion with AOO 4.1 we will add a MacOS version check.
For testing I checked against 10.8 and running on a 10.7 system. The
check will mark the OpenOffice.app as not useable and if somebody double
click on it a dialog pops up to give addtinal information.

See
http://people.apache.org/~jsc/screenshots/MacOS_version_check_AOO4.1.png
for a preview.

For AOO 4.1 we will check against 10.7.0

Juergen