On 19 December 2013 16:28, Herbert Duerr <h...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hello Jan,
>

> On 19.12.2013 15:37, jan i wrote:
>
>> We have anyhow to consider it the GIT branch is a practial solution, I
>> just
>> did a branch switch and encountered 2 problem:
>> 1. The switch alone to 20 minutes
>>

> A svn switch between two branches takes about the same time, doesn't it?
> Window's file access is unfortunately quite slow. On Linux or on Mac the
> filesystems are no bottleneck so checkouts don't take long.

The difference (of course I might use git wrongly), is the in svn, the
branch is stored in its directory. With git I same disk space (trunk and
branches are in 1 directory) but it needs to write a lot of files.

>  2. I had to rebuilt everything because (in my case) unxlngx6.pro is used
>> for trunk and branch.
>>

> Well, if trunk and branch are incompatible (i.e. some project wide headers
> changed, build options changed or there are binary incompatibilites between
> some libs) then you need clean rebuilds or different output trees
> regardless of the version control system. Does subversion have some magic
> that makes such incompatibilities go away? If there is such a magic then
> that would certainly be nobel price worthy ;-)

He, I think it boils down to what I wrote in 1). Git standard keeps
trunk/branches in one directory, and for small projects its very fast to
switch.

I have managed with a trix to have a git trunk in one directory and a git
branch in another directory. However when I read the git manual that is not
how its supposed to work.

> But maybe you are using a different setup for your svn repos? Do you have
> one checkout per branch you are interested in? You can do the same with git
> of course and with git-clone's --reference option you can even share the
> "meat" of the different repositories, which is something very nice that I
> missed in Mercurial or now in Subversion.

I have the setup:
     /x1/aoo/trunk /x1/aoo/branches
so one big aoo directory with everything (I have asked svn to ignore the
branches am not interested in).

But please bear with me, I am no git expert, just read the manual and try
to follow it.

rgds
jan I.