On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 11:27 AM, jan i <j...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi
>
> based on a polite push from a good infra colleague,  I have decided to
> present yet another proposal for maintaining ooo-wiki2-vm.a.o and
> ooo-forums.a.o (I already maintain translate-vm2.a.o since this is a shared
> service).
>
> This will be proposal number 6, therefore I have allowed myself to cut all
> the indirect language. The last proposal was not rejected, but another
> admin and 2 other PMC spoke directly against it, as a consequence I saw it
> as impossible to implement.
>
> I ask for lazy consensus before january 2 2014. Meaning anyone who have
> anything against the proposal please speak up before that date. Since the
> proposal has a direct influence on the vm-team, the proposal needs a
> positive indication from the members of this group in order to be decided.
>
> ===== proposal =====
>
> Wiki.o.o is maintained by wiki users given administrator status. This
> includes monitoring users/submissions and watching/controlling spam.
>
> The single forums on forum.o.o is maintained/moderated by forum users given
> administrator status. This includes activating new users, monitoring
> users/submissions and watching/controlling spam.
>
> All request for changes in the application (mediawiki, php2bb)
> configuration, like new images, new plugins or general setup, must be
> mailed to this list (dev@), with a lazy consensus decision of min. 72
> hours. The sysadm will without further instruction implement the changes as
> soon as possible (depending on sysadm availability) after the decision is
> final.

In the case of phpBB changes, it would probably make sense, from the
forum perspective, for the person requesting the change to post a link
to the dev list thread to the forum as well, in the Site Feedback
section?   I think we want the dev list to be the place where the
discussion happens, but it would be fair to give notice on the forums
as well.

> The sysadm has the responsibility to keep the vms including applications
> updated and configured in accordance with the infra guidelines and be
> responsive to wishes from the community.
>
> The sysadm is the contact point to infra, and is expected to be online on
> #asfinfra on a daily basis, or at least check if there are any calls for
> attention.
>
> Downtime (excluding emergencies) will be announced on this list (dev@) at
> least 72 hours in advance. The appl. admins are expected to inform the
> respective user groups.
>
> In order to ensure the highest availability of our servers, we have a
> vm-team, globally distributed. Members of the vm-team team are expected to
> react on mail alerts (from nagios/circonus) during normal daytime. The
> vm-team can:
> - stop/start the application
> - reboot the server
> In case of an incident, please sent an email to the team, so we all know
> what happened.

Does this require a vm-team email alias?  or would it be handled informally?

> The sysadm decides when to upgrade/change the vm. Help from any member of
> the vm-team is appreciated as long as it is coordinated in advance (a
> direct mail with response is sufficient).
>
> I suggest myself for sysadm, and jsc, pescetti, arist and imacat for
> vm-team. Of course my suggestion depends on the willingness of the
> mentioned people.

Might be worth saying how new sysadms and vm-team members are added.
I assume both require approval of the PMC.  Maybe new sysadmins
require approval from Infra as well?

> =========================
>
> I have on purpose not written anything about what happens if the agreement
> is not followed, I assume people who agree to it also follow it. IMHO its
> important that the vm-team positively agrees.
>
> If anybody else want the role of sysadm, I will be happy to step down, and
> assist as vm-team member.

Are you thinking that the sysadmin role can be only a single person?
Or would it be reasonable to have more than one, so there is always a
backup?  Having more than one requires additional coordination, of
course.

Thanks for writing this up (again!).  I appreciate the professional
approach to maintaining services like these that are essential for so
many of our users.

In any case, although I have some thoughts I shared above, I'm +1 for
the proposal overall.  I wish I could offer more than moral support
for this effort, but this is not where my skills are.

Regards,

-Rob